Reasons For The Concentration of Industries in Urban Centers.
Some of the reasons why many industries are located or concentrated in urban centers (cities and towns) include:
- A large market: The high population density of urban areas creates a large market for industrial products. Because the larger. the population, the larger the consumer base for industrial products.
- Labor availability: The large population in urban centers helps supply both skilled and unskilled labor to the industry.
- The availability of raw materials: The raw materials used in most industries for the production of goods are easily accessible in urban centers, hence, the concentration of industry in urban areas.
- Good transportation network: Urban areas have well-developed transportation networks such as highways, railroads, seaports, and airports.
- Nearness to seaports and airports: Seaports and airports are usually located in urban centers. This helps with the concentration of industry in urban areas.
- Finance availability: Easy access to financing from banks situated in urban centers helps with the concentration of industries in urban centers.
- Presence of infrastructural facilities: The existence of infrastructure amenities, such as electricity, piped water, and telephone lines, also add to the concentration of industry in urban areas.
Reasons for the Concentration of Industries in Rural Areas in Nigeria
- Development of rural areas: The sitting of industries will lead to the development of rural areas.
- To discourage rural-urban migration: When industries are located in rural areas, it will go a long way in discouraging the movement of people from rural areas to urban centers.
- Provision of employment: Industries established in rural areas will provide employment for skilled and unskilled labor in rural areas.
- Increased production of goods: Industries that are located in rural areas will increase the production of goods for the rural populace
- Increased earnings for rural people: The rural people so employed in industries are able to earn more salaries from their places of work.
- Encourages urban-rural migration The sitting of industries in rural areas will also attract the movement of people from the cities back to the rural areas, thereby decongesting the cities.